Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Un-civil Society

In recent times, I have started seeing newspapers and electronic media use the term civil society. And it got me thinking what else is there in India. We do not have a military society. So, only other society might be un-civil society. It got me thinking who are a part of un-civil society. Here are some options
1. Is it the folks who are criminals? If yes, then those folks are mostly in prison. The population outside is mostly civil.
2. Is it the illiterate folks who sell their votes? If yes, then they are thousand times better than civil society babus who sell their soul for a few rupees and other civil society members who are ready to bribe anyone on the drop of a hat.
3. Is it the non-corrupt folks? Then only people who will be in there .. will be farmers. They cannot bribe god to get rains and there is no substitute for hard labour.

In my view, this civil society is another term for middle class. And this is a blatant attempt by middle class to garner extra constitutional power. The middle class is threatened with erosion of elitism since the time India became a Republic. This decline of elitism caused some of these middle class folks to yearn for Raj days. Some of these guys even liked the Emergency of 1975-77.

And just as I oppose any extra constitutional method like Naxalism etc, I feel its my constitutional duty to oppose civil society. I am happy being a proletariat.

No comments: